Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

So even though the title of this post takes me 5 minutes to read in my head, I just had to use it!

Laissez les bons temps rouler is French for 'Let the good times roll'!
I wanted to wish you all a happy Mardi Gras!

I know a lot of people think of New Orleans when they think of Mardi Gras, but it's really a French tradition of celebrating the last day before Lent.

If you aren't familiar with Lent, it's a period of 40 days of fasting and repentance in preparation for Easter. Lent always starts on Ash Wednesday, and thus Mardi Gras (French for Fat Tuesday) is a last hoorah of sorts.

We used to have Mardi Gras parades at school and in my hometown, and boy if you've never been to one you are missing out my friend!

As far as city parades go, Mardi Gras parades (strictly the family ones, I can't vouch for New Orleans, I've heard stories let's just say that my PG ears can't handle) are the best type of parades. People throw candy and toys and dress up and there are crazy floats that are covered in lights and are so colorful!

AND did I mention you get to eat king cake? Oh yes, how I could eat my weight in king cake.


So in honor of this wonderful occasion I made a celebratory doodle for your delight!

Forgive me for not having any colored pencils, or markers at my disposal or I would have surely lit this doodle up with dazzling colors!!

Are you celebrating Mardi Gras?


3 comments:

Nessa @{Casa Braaflat} said...

wish i was celebrating mardi gras. have been to NO twice and i'm not sure i could handle the hoards of people and partying. wow, i am gettin' old!

memory said...

Honestly, I didn't even KNOW that Mardi Gras was this week. I'm so out of the loop, ha.
That doodle is so awesome! Your talent never ceases to amaze me.

Ka-chow!!

SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

Melanie Lea said...

Oh yay your drawing is so cute! I wish people threw candy at me every day.

: )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...