Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

cow milk vs. goat milk

doodle by yours truly
Unfortunately, I can not drink cow milk and then have a functioning digestive system like most normal people. It took me two or three [painful] years to figure out that I was lactose intolerant. Looking back now, it was blindingly obvious, but hey hindsight is 20/20 right.

That being said I have been looking for something to replace cow milk with that still gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling when I pair it with a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies. So far I have tried:
Soy milk - pretty good, especially the vanilla, still doesn't have that 'milk' taste, is also less viscous
Almond milk - wow *lots of sugar* and incredibly too sweet for my taste, but upside it was creamy like cow milk is
unpasteurized goat milk - not quite as creamy as cow milk, but definitely has the milk taste, also not as sweet as cow milk, has more of a flat taste than I thought it would

I have been reading into lactose intolerence, maybe just to add insult to injury based on the fact that I can't eat ice cream anymore, but I have learned a lot bout milk and how we digest it.

One of the reasons people have trouble digesting cow milk is because of the fat globules in it. Our body lacks the proper 'good germs and stomach stuff' so to speak to break down the globules properly before they enter into our intestines. Once the globules get to our intestines, WOAH NELLY, red alert captain, this ship is going to sink! It is at this point that our own intestines begin to mutiny against us, and what ensues is not pretty at all folks, not pretty at all.

You might have noticed in my list of milk alternatives I have been trying that I put the word unpasteurized in front of goat milk. If you don't know anything about pasteurization, it's simply a process where milk is heated up to kill any harmful bacteria that would cause you to become sick. Unfortunately, by heating the milk up to kill the bad bacteria you also kill all of the good bacteria that helps your body to properly digest the milk. Obviously, because it is hard to regulate and monitor all of the milk processors around the country, most states will not let you sell unpasteurized milk of any kind (cow or goat) for human consumption. I bought the goat milk from my local farmer's market as a 'pet product' because it was unpasteurized even though it is incredibly safe for human consumption.

If you think about it, how big is a human baby when they are born? like 6-10 pounds usually? That is about the same size as a kid (baby goat). A calf on the other hand is about 50-60 pounds when it is born! Talk about a big ol' baby! Doesn't it make more sense that the ratio of fat our bodies are created to handle would be a lot closer to goat's milk than cow milk? The smaller fat globules in goat milk, along with the fact that I buy mine unpasteurized is the only reason my digestive system will not mutiny against me anymore. Phew, thank goodness I finally solved that problem.




1 comment:

Liv Lundelius said...

i cut milk out of my diet for a few years, because I had trouble with it too. I started slowly introducing it again, but still having mainly goats cheese.
found it helped my if I buy full fat organic milk have warm it with sices, the ayurvedic way. It's easier to digest.
But there also many great alernatives.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...